Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday June 30 Diamond Cave, Mammoth Cave and Hidden River Cave.


First on my agenda for today was to take the cave tour at Historic Diamond Caverns. It was beautiful. Unbelievable cave formations. 350 steps!

Historic Diamond Caverns
1900 Mammoth Cave Pkwy 
Park City, Kentucky 42160 


Next I toured Mammoth Cave. As the name implies, it was huge! About 2 miles of walking and another 450 steps!

Mammoth Cave
1 Entrance Rd
Mammoth Cave, KY 42259



Then I drove to Horse Cave, Kentucky to visit Hidden River Cave. At Hidden River Cave I was able to try something new; rappelling.  I rappelled down about 70 feet to the mouth of the cave beginning on the same platform as the zipline. A new activity! Awesome!

The American Cave Museum is here with exhibits on the underground and natural history of the area. Exhibits on bats, blind fish and other cave animals; prehistoric and modern cave explorers; saltpeter mining; groundwater science and cave geology; and more.

At the present, they have only one zipline, but are planning to have more; some inside the cave!

Clayton and crew guided me through both activities then I had a nice, informative cave tour. 

Hidden River Cave
119 east Main Street
Horse Cave, KY 42749

Needless to say, I was exhausted after all of these activities. 

I drove to Louisville, KY to spend the night.











No comments:

Post a Comment